Many nut milks are readily availiable at the supermarket. While these are good - I find they have many non-paleo addititives. I like walnut milk better than other nut alternatives because it has omega-3s in it!
- 1 cup Walnuts
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- Favorite Paleo Sweetner to taste
- Soak walnuts in water for at least 8 hours in the refridgerator.
- Rinse walnuts and place in blender with about 4 cups water (use 2 cups if you want very rich milk, 5 cups if you like skim milk - 4 is similar to 2% milk to me)
- Add vanilla and sweetener. I used about 10 drops of stevia.
- Blend for 2-3 minutes.
- Use cheese cloth or wire strainer (or cheese cloth in wire strainer) to strain out remaining walnut chunks. If you use a cheesecloth you'll need to fold up the cloth and squeeze the liquid out. I simply use a wire strainer - my milk has some "solids" in it. The small solids don't bother me - maybe I'm just lazy!
The remaining walnut solids can be used in future recipes! Take the wet solids and throw them on a cookie sheet then put them in the oven at 250 F until dried out (~30 minutes).
Nutritional Info - I don't know what the nutritional info is on this! I find that you end up with a large amount of walnut solids after making this recipe - so it's difficult to quantify how much you ended up with vs how much is actually in the milk.